Tone of New York pickups?

For "general" discussion of 1958-1970 Epiphones, and/or topics not limited to a particular guitar model or type.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
RAB
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tone of New York pickups?

Postby RAB » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi friendly Forum mates! :D I am curious to hear your comments about the tone and general characteristics of Epi New York pickups...never played them myself. Ive heard they are low output and sound rather thin and anemic? But I don't want to be prejudiced about them! :mrgreen:

AlienVintage

Re: Tone of New York pickups?

Postby AlienVintage » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:10 am

This is something I am very interested in, too. I have tried about a half-dozen guitars with them. The guitars were mostly hollow-body guitars (so that might also have a lot to do with my experiences). My personal experience is that I couldn't get a useable "rock" tone at all. Not very thick, I might describe the tone as "brittle" and "thin." In my opinion, the NY pickups can't even begin to compete with the mini humbuckers, or even P-90s. I am sort of puzzled by what seems to be the collector consensus that the early Kalamazoo Epis with the NY pickups should be considered more collectible! I much, much prefer a guitar with mini humbuckers, myself!

Purple Jay

Postby Purple Jay » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:55 am

My Sheraton has New York pickups. I kinda like the sound .. different than humbuckers and mini-humbuckers.

https://youtu.be/zdxgODsBDlw

RAB

Postby RAB » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:03 pm

Purple Jay, thanks very much for your video of your beautiful, NY pup equipped Sheraton ('59?) It was very helpful in trying to better understand the"New Yawk" pup tone! I'd sort of describe it as "hollow" but certainly a pleasant sound! Were you playing on the neck pickup? How do the pickups respond at high volume? Is feedback a big problem? Best, RAB :)

Purple Jay

Postby Purple Jay » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:39 pm

RAB, playing my '59 Sheraton thru the neck pickup into a '55 Fender Champ.

IMHO, New York pickups sound good at all volumes, and feedback is not a big issue.

Certainly not for metal .. but otherwise, I think New York pickups are really underrated and overlooked (like DeArmonds and early Ric Toasters) when compared to most "traditional" pickups (P-90's, mini-humbuckers, and humbuckers).

RAB

Postby RAB » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:07 pm

I'll look forward to playing some NY pickups some day! Perhaps at the first annual Epiphone Forum convention?! :mrgreen: