Reference site (guitarhq.com)

For "general" discussion of 1958-1970 Epiphones, and/or topics not limited to a particular guitar model or type.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JimR56
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Reference site (guitarhq.com)

Postby JimR56 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:03 pm

It kind of drives me nuts these days how a lot of people post erroneous info in forums (in general that is, not here) that they got from bad sources like blue books or unreliable websites like "the guitar dater project" (which seems to provide incorrect data almost every time somebody mentions it as their source).

So, I've always tried to steer people (especially on the Gibson forums, where I've spent quite a bit of time) to good sources on the web as well as recommending certain guitar reference books.

In terms of web sources, I've always recommended this site as one of the best: http://www.guitarhq.com/ (formerly at a different domain, "provide.net")

It's been especially useful to me for looking up Gibson serial numbers. Anyway, I was just looking at the Epiphone section recently, and had forgotten about some things that I don't like about it. For example, the info provided on Sheratons and Rivieras is incomplete, flawed, and misleading...

Epiphone Sheraton thinline semi-hollow electric archtop.
Collectibility Rating: NY parts models: B+, Gibson parts models: C.
With NY pickups, knobs and neck, this is a very elegant model on par with Gibson's ES-355. However, with Gibson parts it's way less collectible.
16" wide, double round cutaways, thin semi-hollow body with solid maple block down center (like an ES-355), sunburst or blond finish, 7 layer top body binding, multiple bound neck, back, headstock, pickguard, flower headstock inlay, V-block pearl/abalone fingerboard inlay, 24 3/4" scale, Frequensator tailpiece (optional Bigsby), gold plated parts.

1958 Sheraton introduction specs:
2 New York pickups.

1961 Sheraton specs:
2 mini-humbucking pickups.
Vibrato standard.

1965 Sheraton specs:
Cherry finish optional.

It's bad enough that they suggest that the cherry finish became available in 1965, but the "collectability rating" thing is kind of a joke. No offense to owners of the earlier examples with NY parts, but I've never found those to be more desirable among collectors than the ones with Gibson parts.

Anyway, for the Riviera, they include this:
Collectibility Rating: C-.
Epi's version of the ES-335, but uglier.

Wow. Does anybody happen to know who operates that site? I thought about contacting him via the provided e-mail address, but knowing how temperamental some guys can be about things like this, I haven't tried it.

RAB

Re: Reference site (guitarhq.com)

Postby RAB » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:27 pm

Jim, I made the same observations about this guy's site. His comments appear to be very biased! Certainly the vintage Sheratons and Rivieras deserve higher marks for collectibility, eh forum brothers and sisters?! :)

AlienVintage

Postby AlienVintage » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:13 am

I absolutely agree with you guys on this!!

I don't agree with that site's assessment of collectibility rating. The guy seems very biased against Epis. I bet he never even owned one in his life. The worst part is, so many people have read the info on that site, and have probably taken it as gospel. It's really a shame. Hopefully we can change some of that with the forum here.

Purple Jay

Postby Purple Jay » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:19 am

He's a good guy. At one time he had an amazing collection of vintage guitars.

When it comes to opinions, we've all got them)

You could try contacting him at the UMGF site, as "cfhcfh".

RAB

Postby RAB » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:20 pm

The good affect of bad rap on Epis is it helps keep the prices down! :mrgreen:

RAB

invading our board

Postby RAB » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:55 pm

Hello Ukranian person, if you speak English, and I assume you do, please stop posting to our board. No one is going to purchase your products or whatever else you have in mind...

javamagic

Postby javamagic » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Can the moderators delete all the rubbish and also cancel the membership of the trolls?