My personal ranking of top 5 vintage 1958-1970 Epis for rock

For "general" discussion of 1958-1970 Epiphones, and/or topics not limited to a particular guitar model or type.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
AlienVintage
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My personal ranking of top 5 vintage 1958-1970 Epis for rock

Postby AlienVintage » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:40 pm

So, this is based on a combination of a lot of factors: coolness, features, tone, playability, rarity, beauty...

And also, I am talking about use for rock-based applications in particular. So, you might love a Broadway for jazz or something, but I am biased towards guitars for rock applications.

Here's my ranking:

1. Blonde Sheraton (pre-1965, with wide nut)

Maybe it is "cheating" to put the blonde Sheratons specifically in their own category, but I think they deserve it. There were only 119 blondes shipped between 1959 and 1969, and about half of those were pre-1965. Obviously there is an extremely limited universe of existing guitars. I think a pre-1965 blonde Sheraton is, by far, the top of the vintage Kalamazoo-made Epi electrics.

My own personal preference would be around '62 - '64, with Gibson-made neck and the early mini humbuckers.

2. All other Sheratons (sunburst, cherry) (pre-1965, with wide nut)

3. Riviera (pre-1965, with wide nut)

Every bit as good an instrument as a Sheraton, just a little plainer looking. Incredible guitars. Underrated.

4. Crestwood Custom (1961-1963, with wide nut and early mini humbuckers)

In my opinion, this version of the Crestwood is probably the most underrated rock guitar of all time. I have owned several early and mid 60s SG Standards, including some really good ones, and I would take a '62 Crestwood Custom over any SG.

5, Wilshire (up to mid 1963 body style, with wide nut, P-90s, and stop tailpiece)

I like the late-1963+ body style Wilshires as well, but this earlier configuration is just a total classic, in my opinion.

RAB

Re: My personal ranking of top 5 vintage 1958-1970 Epis for rock

Postby RAB » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:05 pm

I have to agree with your listing! Also, the 1963-64 Wilshires with minibuckers and factory stop tailpiece are "hella good" (as the kids might say) fiddles for the buck, great for Rock and Blues! I have a mid-1963 myself and it is a wonderful axe! 8-)

Purple Jay

Postby Purple Jay » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:10 pm

Yes, your 1-5 list is a good one! My own bias has a '60-'62 Coronet hardtail, single P90, in the 5 spot.

AlienVintage

Postby AlienVintage » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:39 pm

It was definitely hard for me to keep the Coronet off the list!
I would have to slot it in as my #6 :)