What amp rig do you use with your Epi?

For "general" discussion of 1958-1970 Epiphones, and/or topics not limited to a particular guitar model or type.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
RAB
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What amp rig do you use with your Epi?

Postby RAB » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:58 pm

My small stable includes vintage Gibson and Epiphones featuring full size and mini humbucking pickups. I noted in another post on this forum that the mini buckers are louder and punchier than the full sized pups. And of course have more treble response. This requires some tone and volume control tweaking when switching between guitars at gigs. My amps include (all 1964 Fenders):
Champ (Tweed style 5F1 circuit), Vibro Champ, Princeton (non-reverb), Deluxe (non-reverb) and Bassman (6GG-B "blonde" circuit with Presence control and blackface cosmetics). I had a custom made cabinet built with matching cosmetics and a single Altec 418B 15" speaker...

AlienVintage

Re: What amp rig do you use with your Epi?

Postby AlienVintage » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Nice!

I love small tube amp combos that have good amounts of gain. I guess I am a child of the '80s :)

Right now I play a little 5W Marshall SL5 combo. I love that amp.

My two Epis nowadays are the blonde '64 Sheraton and also a '62 Crestwood. Both sound fantastic through that little SL5. You would never know they weren't full-size humbuckers with the tone :)

pablomago

Postby pablomago » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:00 pm

I like BF/early SF Fenders. I have a Dual Showman Reverb that I run with a 2 x 12" cab with JBL K-120 speakers or a Bandmaster Reverb running a single EVM 12L. I'm saving up for a Glaswerks Zingano that should be a good match. I had a '66 Deluxe Reverb that I liked a lot, too.

The best tone I ever had with my Riviera was a '70 Twin Reverb with stock speakers and an extension cab with a JBL D-130 playing at an outdoor lunchtime gig at a college. I was playing in a duo with a pedal steel player and the stars and planets were all lined up that day.

I rarely use overdrive with the Epi, but one day I tried it with a Jordan BossTone I found in a pawn shop. I was immediately transported to the '60's. That was fun!

RAB

Postby RAB » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:31 am

The only pedal I use with my rig is a Barber Direct Drive, a very early issue first edition model. I've tried all the other OD pedals including original KLON and keep coming back to Barber...